Writing External Functions¶
External functions are user-defined functions that are stored and executed outside of Snowflake.
External functions make it easier to access external API services such as geocoders, machine learning models, and other custom code running outside of Snowflake. This feature eliminates the need to export and reimport data when using third-party services, significantly simplifying your data pipelines.
- Introduction to External Functions
Learn about external functions, which call executable code that is developed, maintained, stored, and executed outside Snowflake.
- Remote Service Input and Output Data Formats
Understand the data formats sent and received by Snowflake.
- Using Request and Response Translators with Data for a Remote Service
Change the format of data sent to and received from remote services.
- Designing High-Performance External Functions
Design high-performance functions with these tips on asynchronous services, scalability, concurrency, and reliability.
- External Functions Best Practices
Improve efficiency and prevent unexpected results with these best practices.
- Securing an External Function
Create secure external functions.